Boulder Theater

Venue Phone: (303) 786-7030
Address:
2032 14th Street
Boulder, CO 80302
From opera to movies to disco to rock - the historic Boulder Theater has a diverse and colorful past that is being continued with a thriving present and is primed for an exciting future. Opened in 1906 as Curran Opera House by wealthy billboard sign owner James Curran, the venue featured opera, musical productions and silent movies. In 1927 the first talkie,"The Jazz Singer", was presented by Warner Brothers. During the Depression, the theater kept going with double features and "Country Store Nights", when sacks of groceries were given away to those in the lucky numbered seats. The Fox Theater Company purchased the building in 1935 and created the Boulder Theater. The building as it stands today was designed by Robert Boller of Kansas City and had it's Opening Night on January 9, 1936. The construction included an expansion of the Opera House and was finished in the art deco style of the day. The façade is designated as a Colorado Historic Landmark. In 1981, the theater was once again renovated, this time into a state-of-the-art concert hall by Mountain Productions. It featured such diverse acts as Bonnie Raitt, the Plasmatics, Jeff Lorber and Timothy Leary. Mountain Productions operated the theater for 15 months, but the rigid movie house style seating restricted a diversity of activity and the theater was forced to close 1983. In 1988 the theater saw it’s second transformation into a multi-use venue under the ownership of Livingston and Edwards with Dick MacLeod as manager who continued to book concerts, E-towns, and private events. The building was sold to Dick MacLeod in 1992 but had a short run until the theater closed in July of 1993.

Venue Map

BBB Online Reliability Seal